The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Actions Involving Animals) (England) Rules 2018 got here into pressure right now (1 October) to strengthen animal welfare – significantly round pet gross sales – in England.
The brand new laws will:
- Guarantee breeders should present puppies alongside their mom earlier than a sale is made.
- Tighten laws so pet gross sales are accomplished within the presence of the brand new proprietor – stopping on-line gross sales the place potential consumers haven’t seen the animal first.
- Ban licensed sellers from dealing in puppies and kittens youthful than eight weeks of age.
- Regulate adverts, together with on the web, by making certain licensed sellers of all pets embody the vendor’s licence quantity, nation of origin and nation of residence of the pet in any advert on the market.
- Introduce a brand new “star ranking” for canine breeders, pet retailers and others to assist folks fee them on their animal welfare requirements.
The star ranking system (scored out of 5) will fee canine breeders, pet retailers and different licensed actions involving animals on welfare and different grounds. It’s hoped this may assist consumers use the very best breeders, in addition to permitting native authorities to manage the poorer rated.
Animal welfare minister David Rutley mentioned: “These laws will finish mistreatment and malpractice of puppies, and crack down on unscrupulous breeders so pet homeowners could have little question their new canine have had the best begin in life.”